The Palm Springs Historical Society is a non-profit organization founded in 1955 by Melba Berry Bennett.
We are located on The Village Green Heritage Center in a lovely park-like setting amid the hotels, shops and restaurants of legendary Palm Canyon Drive. Comprised of two 19th century pioneer homes, The McCallum Adobe and Miss Cornelia White's "Little House".
The McCallum Adobe
The oldest remaining building in Palm Springs, built in 1884 for John McCallum, the first permanent white settler. Adobe houses were rare in the dessert because few people knew how to make the bricks.
The relocated and restored adobe now exhibits an extensive collection of photographs, paintings, clothing, tools, books, and Indian ware from the earliest days of Palm Springs. A 24 minute film on the history of Palm Springs runs continuously. Knowledgeable and personable curators are always on hand to answer questions - and if encouraged they probably might have a story or two to share.
Miss Cornelia White's “Little House”
Built from railroad ties taken from the abandoned Palmdale railroad in 1893 by the city's first hotel proprietor, Dr. Welwood Murray. This house was once part of the first hotel in Palm Springs (The Palm Springs Hotel) and later the home to pioneer Cornelia White. If your curious to see what a turn-of-the-century Palm Springs residence might have looked like come for a visit, the house is furnished with donated antiques.